Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane...

Actually it’s an A380. I’m leaving Australia from the Gold Coast airport, as it is cheaper than flying from Brisbane International for some reason.

After four long, long months of waiting I finally received my acceptance pack on the 16th of January. When I got the call saying it had arrived I was literally bouncing up and down in my seat.  I had started to get really worried. I was planning on leaving around the 11th of February, and still needed to find out semester dates, get my visa and book my flights. With only 5 weeks til my intended departure date, I was beginning to worry that I would have to replan my entire trip.

In addition to my joy at finally getting my acceptance letter and Certificate of Eligibility, I also found out that I was also receiving a $5000 Endeavour Cheung Kong Award (An added incentive to study is that if I fail anything I have to refund the 5k).  

So not only was my letter finally here, I found out that I was getting two, TWO! scholarships. That’s almost completely unheard of, especially for someone with my GPA.  

I went off to visit my travel agent, however due to the heavy rain and road closures she had to leave before finishing the booking. So another agent finished it up for her/me and I finally had my tickets! It was such a relief to actually have something concrete, but then I started to freak out. After 4 months of waiting and not being able to do anything I now had only 5 weeks to do everything. Visa, travel insurance, accommodation, connecting flights, organising stuff for uni, making sure I was all set and ready to go, the list seemed endless. Also I nearly didn’t make it home because of the rising flood waters, but that’s another story.

As it stands at the moment, I will pick my visa and passport up from the embassy in two days, get my second lot of vaccinations next week, by a few more things and be ready to go. Oh yeah, and pack my room up and put everything in storage.

With only 15 days til I leave I’m not just excited but also a bit worried. I’m pretty sure I’m going to forget something important and have to get someone to post me a parcel pretty much as soon as I arrive. I’ve packed a repacked my bag testing how much I can fit into it without going over the baggage limit too much. I’ve restricted myself to only one bag, and it’s difficult, especially trying to fit summer and winter clothes in. I’ve already forfeited one pair of shoes for some extra weight and space.

On a more positive note, I finally figured out how to use my electronic dictionary, so assignments, and even just unusual (Japanese) words no longer need to bother me.

So if I don’t see you before the 11th of February, see you in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment